What could be more Tasmanian than summer berries… the first raspberries arriving in late spring, heralding the warmer weather. Then come the highly anticipated deep burgundy coloured cherries following hot on their heels at Christmas. A trip to the beach just wouldn’t be the same without a big bag of cherries purchased on the way from the orchard to share for the ride! Summer holidays and blueberries go hand in hand, memories of days of kids and mums picking bushes laden with these blue black wonders, the boys never seemed to fill their buckets but I know their bellies were full when we left! These healthy anti oxidant filled berries freeze so beautifully and can add a little bit of summer to a cold and frosty winters’ day!
Blueberry and lemon muffin recipe….makes 12 regular muffins
These are a favourite and as we only make them on the weekends at Stillwater we even have regulars ring us to have some set aside for when they come in for their weekend caffeine hit!
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 180g unsalted butter at room temp. (can substitute 1C plain yoghurt)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 200 C and grease or oil spray 12 muffin tins or line with muffin cases, there are some cute ones out there now!
- Using an electric mixer or food processor, blend flour, sugar, butter and salt in a large bowl until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add baking powder to the remaining main flour mixture and combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, zest and vanilla. Gradually fold into main flour mixture, do not over mix as this will toughen the dough, should still see some streaks of flour through batter. Carefully and evenly fold in blueberries, if using frozen fold in as frozen as thawed ones will turn batter pink.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake until golden brown and skewer comes out clean, approx 25-30mins. Cool for 5 mins in pan then turn out muffins onto a rack to cool.